Hello again! I did a nonfiction books list a awhile ago and promised a fiction list to follow.
Well, I realized there were far too many books to choose just ten. But changing it to authors makes it a lot easier. Even so it's difficult. So I decided not to number them. I like different authors for different reasons and I can't choose a favorite. But here is a list of my top ten fiction authors.
To start with, one we all know and love,
Jane Austin
Jane Austin is timeless. So many generations have enjoyed her stories and I can see why. Wit and humor and romance are all packed into her stories and she never ceases to captivate the imagination. The old writing style might feel stifling to some people but to me it is a delight and I can never get enough of old writings. The slightly different usage in language only fascinates me all the more. My favorite Jane Austin book is... (it's everyone's right?)
Lisa Harris
A Lisa Harris book is the one I pick up when I want some fast paced and action packed, crime and suspense. I can get wrapped up in her books so easily and rarely can put them down. Whether the characters are fighting terrists or trying to break up criminal rings there is usually a little romance in there too. My favorite Lisa Harris book is...
Louis L'Amour
No one writes a Western like Louis L'Amour. His attention to detail is huge but more than that his stories actually have realistic senerios (unlike most Westerns) and his life like characters make you feel as if you are really there. He knew the country he described. And for being Westerns they're very clean. I grew up knowing a lot of my cousins were named after Louis L'Amour characters and hearing the name Sackett all the time. Once I grew older and read them myself I got to find out what all the fuss was about. Nothing reads quite like a Louis L'Amour. Some of my favorite Louis L'Amour books are...
LaKaysha Stenersen
LaKaysha is my cousin so I might be a little bias but I absolutely love her books. It might be because her books are set in a time era that has always fascinated me: WWII. But I love her writing style, more old fashion and so beautiful. But more than that, I love how she always points to Christ at every turn and shows how God is working in each of her characters. I also love how her stories are set in the remote countryside focusing on a mountain family, something few WWII era books ever do. I love the big family setting since I come from a large family myself. She makes me cry real tears and laugh out loud every time. Her characters come to life as they struggle with loss and grief, but find joy and peace as God leads and guides them. You can find her books at Barnes & Noble.com
Sir. Arthur Conan Doyle
To be honest I've only read his Sherlock Holmes books... But those alone give him the right to be on my favorite author list. I love Sherlock Holmes, have ever since I first began to read the huge thick volume in my older brother's room. I fell in love with the best mystery stories of all time. I find it alarming sometimes how often people offhandedly talk about Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson but they never actually read the books! Lol, that's probably just me. In my opinion everyone should read them at least once in their lifetime. Just so they can really know Sherlock and Watson. And in my case I read them several times a year. *hides* After my older brother who owned both volumes of Sherlock Holmes moved out, I went and bought myself them. I needed them in the house.
Linda Chaikin
I loved Linda Chaikin's books as soon as my cousin introduced me to them. Her attention to detail and the history she packs into her books... Wow. I'm blown away every time I read a new book. All of her books that I've read have been in settings usually not explored by other authors (colonial Africa, Hawaii becoming part of the United States, India in the days of the East India Company) and each setting is so fascinating to me. She gives you mystery, romance, and lots of history all in one book. Three things I can never resist in a book. I love her writing style which is more old fashion. Some of my favorite Linda Chaikin books are...
Heart of India Series (you have to read them all together, *laughs* )
Dawn of Hawaii Series (same with this series)
Sarah Sundin
Sarah Sundin books take place in one of my favorite time eras: WWII. Almost any book that has WWII in it will captivate me. So it's no wonder I love Sarah Sundin books. Her books have a lot of history in them and since I've read several of her series I've got several different perspectives of the war from different characters and I love that. I love how she explores so many different angles of the war. Her books are full of mystery and romance that will keep you hooked. And lots of close scrapes with death since its war after all. The dramatic side of me loves that part as well, Lol. Some people don't know why WWII is so romanticized since it was such a dark time in history. All I can say in defense of my obsession is that with great evil comes the need for heroism to stop it. And we all love hero stories. Some of my favorite Sarah Sundin books are...
Roseanna M. White
Where to begin with Roseanna M. White? She has coverd so many different topics, cultures, and time eras in her different series. I love them all. And honestly it'll be super hard to pick any favorites. All her books are historical-fiction with some from the American Revolution, American Civil War, to WWI in England and a bit of WWII. And lots more. I love how all her characters seem real and have a deep back stories. Her books are full of mystery and intrigue, and of course romance. Spies, Thieves, Nobles, Soldiers, all thrive in her stories. I think she has a thing for spy stories since a lot of her stories have some sort of spying involved. Which is fine with me because I have a thing for spy stories too, Lol.
Jeanette Oke books are home to me. She was the first author I read as a teenager and in a way my "first love". All my first romance novels were Jeanette Oke. Good. Clean. Fun. And so sweet. All the first chapter books I owned were Jeanette Oke. They have a very special place in my heart. I can reread Jeanette Oke over and over and never get tired of the timeless themes of love, faith, and family. I grew up with my mom reading Jeanette Oke. In fact her Jeanette Oke books were about the only book she saved from when she was a teenager. So many Jeanette Oke characters are like family to me and I think every girl should have a large collection of Jeanette Oke books. Some of my favorites are...
Seasons of the Heart Series
Joanna Davidson Politano
Last but most certainly not least (she might be my favorite author, but I'm not sure.) Joanna Davidson Politano. Her books are so good. I love the depth in them. They are always far more than fiction. Woven into her stories there is always beautiful truths. I couldn't to tell you how some of her books lifted me up so much when my spirit was heavy. All her stories point back to the true Author of Life, Our Heavenly Father and Lord. Her characters are so lifelike they begin to feel like dear friends. She keeps you on the edge of your seat with a book packed in history, romance, mystery and suspense. Some of the couples from her books are some of my favorite book couples of all time. My favorite books of hers are...
And there you have it! My top ten fiction authors! Do you know any of these authors? Do you have some favorite authors?
Here are some honorable mentions:
Lori Copeland (Brides of the West Series)
Misty M. Beller (Hearts of Montana series)
Amanda Dykes (Set the Stars Alight)
Lori Wick (The Californians series)
Laurain Snelling (Blessing in Disguise)
Karen Kingsbury (Cody Gunner series)
As always, keep leaning on Jesus! He loves you and has each moment in His hand.
Until Next Time,
Damara Nancy
No comments:
Post a Comment